Which Canada visa is the best fit for you?

Which Canadian Visa is the best fit for you?

You’ve made the decision to relocate to Canada, but what comes next? Choosing the best Canadian Visa for you is the first and most crucial step.

There are numerous options for both temporary and permanent Canadian Visa. Knowing which visa category you fall under and how to best prepare your application will depend on how well you understand each type of visa.

Short-Term Visa

Foreign nationals can visit Canadian temporarily with a temporary visa. The type of temporary visa you have will determine what you can do while you are in Canada. If you have a temporary visa and are currently in Canada, you must leave when it expires.

A temporary visa might be the best option for you if you don’t intend to stay in Canada permanently.

If you are not currently qualified for any permanent residence immigration programmes, coming to Canada as a student or worker may offer you a route to permanent status.

1. Work

As long as they abide by the terms of their work permit, anyone with a work permit is qualified to live and work in Canada for the duration of the validity period.

Working Permit Open:

This kind of permit exempts you from the need for a Labour Market Impact Assessment and enables you to work for any employer in Canada (LMIA). This highly coveted but uncommon permit is typically only made available to adults who are travelling with their family members on a study permit.

Permit to Work After Graduation:

International graduates may live and work in Canada with this open work permit after they graduate. The length of the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP), which can last up to three years, is determined by the length of the course or programme you took.

Work permit specific to an employer:

You might be qualified to enter Canada on an employer-specific work permit if you have a legitimate job offer from that employer. A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which serves as proof that the employer sought a Canadian Visa citizen or permanent resident before offering the position to a foreigner, is typically needed in order to obtain an employer-specific work permit.

Anyone who enters Canada on an employer-specific work permit and later changes jobs must apply for a new work permit.

Canadian organisation International Experience:

Due to bilateral agreements with specific nations, Canadians are now able to travel and work there through International Experience Canada (IEC). The IEC includes the following three categories:

  • Candidate working multiple jobs while on vacation, possibly at different locations, without a job offer in order to earn money to travel.
  • Young professional: You can work for the same employer in one location while you are in Canada if your current Canadian job offers contribute to your professional development.
  • Co-op International Anyone enrolled in a post-secondary institution who has a legitimate job offer for an internship or work placement in Canada may submit an application for an employer-specific work permit under this category. This also applies to students who must complete an internship as part of their degree programme and who wish to continue working for the same employer in the same location while they are still in Canada.

2. Study

You need a study permit if you want to enrol in a longer-than-six-month programme at a Canadian institution.You must be accepted into a programme at a Canadian institution and present a letter of acceptance before you can apply for a study permit. You must also demonstrate that you have the necessary funds, are eligible to enter Canada, and intend to leave the country when your permit expires in order to study in Canada.

Candidates who are not currently qualified for a permanent immigration programme should consider studying in Canada. You can apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) after earning a credential from a Designated Learning Institute (DLI) in Canada, gaining valuable work experience that you can later use to submit a permanent residency application.


If the school is located in Quebec, prospective students must first apply for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) before requesting a study permit. Before you can submit an application for a CAQ, you must first be accepted into a programme.

3. Visitor

You require one of the following to enter Canada if you intend to travel there.

Visa for multiple visits:

For up to 6 months, visitors can enter and exit the country with this visa without having to reapply. The duration of this kind of visa is up to ten years. Due to a change in immigration law that took effect in February 2014, even if you apply for a single-entry visa, you will be automatically considered for a multiple entry visa.

One-Time Entry Permit:

This enables you to travel to Canada just once, for a set amount of time. Even if your initial single-entry visa is still valid, you will need to reapply for a new visitor visa to return after leaving the country. With this visa, your maximum stay in Canada is six months.

Super Visa:

Parents or grandparents of someone who is already a citizen or permanent resident of Canada may be granted a Super Visa. It is a temporary resident visa with multiple entries and an extended stay of up to 10 years. In addition, the visitor’s initial stay in Canada may last up to 24 months, as opposed to the 6-month limit for single-entry and multiple-entry visitor visas.

Authorization for Electronic Travel:

If you intend to enter Canada without a valid work or study permit and are a citizen of a nation exempt from visa requirements, you must submit an application for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) if you intend to do so by air. Only US citizens are exempt from this rule; as long as they are travelling on a US passport, they can enter Canada without a visa.

Permanent Residence

You must apply for Canadian permanent residence if you’ve made the decision to live there permanently. Whichever of the following immigration paths you take, they all result in permanent residence in Canada.

Once you are granted permanent residency in Canada, you are free to pursue any line of work you desire and may later sponsor your spouse, parents, or even grandparents.

1. The Express Entry

The quickest and most popular route to permanent residency in Canada is through Express Entry. Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades, and Canadian Experience Class are the three main economic immigration programmes that are administered by the Express Entry system.

You must submit a profile to the Express Entry pool if you qualify for one of the programmes run by Express Entry. After being added to the pool, your profile is compared to the profiles of every other candidate there. An ITA (Invitation to Apply) for Canadian permanent residence is then given to the candidates who placed highest in the pool.

The Express Entry system allows for the processing of applications in as little as six months.

Program for Federally Skilled Workers:

You might be qualified to apply to Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Worker Program if you have at least a year of experience in a skilled occupation, meet the minimal language requirements in either French or English, and earn at least 67 points out of a possible 100 on the FSW selection grid.

Class for Canadian Experience:

If you meet the minimal language requirements and have worked in Canada for at least a year with a valid work permit, you may be eligible to apply to Express Entry under the Canadian Visa Experience Class. However, keep in mind that regardless of the programme for which they are qualified, your profile will still be evaluated against those of everyone else in the pool.

Program for Federally Skilled Trades:

You might be qualified to apply to Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Trades programme if you have two years of experience in a skilled trade, meet the minimum language requirements in French or English, and have either a Canadian certificate of qualification to practise your trade in Canada or a job offer in your skilled trade in Canada.

2. Program for Provincial Nominees (PNP)

Except for Quebec, each Canadian province runs its own immigration channels known as Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP). For each stream in each province, there are different eligibility requirements and application procedures.

While many PNPs demand ties to the province in order to be eligible, there are numerous programmes for foreign workers that fill in particular demographic or labour market gaps.

3. Immigration to Quebec

Compared to other Canadian Visa provinces, Quebec has more discretion over its immigration policies.

Before applying to the federal government, all temporary or permanent visa applicants who intend to live in Quebec must first submit an application for approval to the province.

Class for Quebec Experience:

Immigration Quebec oversees this accelerated programme for Canadian immigration, which is the province’s version of the Canadian Experience Class scheme. You must either be an international student studying in Quebec or a temporary worker to qualify for the Quebec Experience Class (PEQ).

If you’re a temporary employee, you need to have a valid work permit and be employed by a Quebec-based company. You also need to speak advanced-intermediate French and have at least 12 months of work experience (Skill levels O, A, or B).You must have an eligible degree or anticipate finishing your programme within six months if you are an international student or recent international student graduate. You must also speak advanced-intermediate French.

Skilled Worker from Quebec:

The Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW) programme does not require a job offer, in contrast to many other provincial programmes. In addition, no knowledge of French is necessary.

A points-based system similar to Express Entry is used by QSW. Before submitting an Arrima profile, candidates must first meet the minimum score requirement on the QSW points grid.

The top candidates are then invited to apply for permanent selection at regular draws held in Quebec.

4. Sponsorship

You qualify for spousal sponsorship if your spouse, common-law partner, or romantic partner is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You can choose between inland sponsorship and outland sponsorship. A sponsorship is considered outlandish if the recipient lives outside of Canada. It is deemed inland if they live inside of Canada. The anticipated processing times for the two types are typically different.

Additionally, citizens and permanent residents of Canada may apply for permanent residence on behalf of their grandparents, parents, or dependent children.







Sunland Education & Immigration Consultants
Open chat
Need help?
How can we help you?